I’m in the midst of doing an assignment- was freaking out as I temporarily forgot how to write an essay! In light of my previous post, Prioritise I Must, I’ve allowed myself to write and post this in 1hr MAX.
Today I thought I’d share with you my little bento box that I will be bringing to work tomorrow. This is leftovers from lunch today. Growing up, rice is a staple and now, having moved out of home, the smell of freshly cooked rice reminds me of the good old days, the magic of childhood!
The components of today’s box is down below (serves 4):
For 4 people I would cook 2 cups of rice. We’ve got a rice cooker so it’s just rinse, add water and flick a switch. You may also cook this on the stove top or in the microwave, the directions are on the packaging.
- Vegetable of your choice ( 1 Carrot, 1/4Cabbage, 1 Bak choy)
- 3 cloves of garlic, smashed
- 1tbs of oil
- 1-2 tsp Vegata stock powder (any stock powder would work)
- 1tsp each Sesame Oil and/or Soy Sauce (optional)
- Roughly chop up veggies, keeping in mind that you want to cook it quickly
- Heat wok and put oil bring it up to heat
- Throw in the garlic and cook till it’s tender
- Throw in the veggies starting with the densest one (i.e carrot then cabbage and bak choy)
- Stir in the Vegata stock power
- Once Vegetables have wilted and is cooked, transfer to a plate and you can add the sesame oil and/or soy sauce.
Solo Sweet Potato
- 1 Sweet potato, cut into chunks
- Place sweet potato in a microwavable container, place lid loosely and place in the microwave
- Cooking time depends on the power of your microwave.
- Some microwaves come with a pre-set for potatoes, you can use that
- I’ve cooked mine on high for 2 mins then 1:30mins after the touch test.
Savoury Caramel Chicken
- Chicken drumlets/nibbles (400-500g)
- 4 tbsp. Cooking Caramel (In most supermarkets and oriental store)
- 1/4 Cooking Sake (Ditto)
- 1 ripe Kiwi fruit or pear (it’s got to be squishy), skinned and cut
- Preheat oven to 200DegC/ 392DegF fan-forced.
- In a oven proof casserole dish, combine the chicken with the caramel, sake and kiwi
- Let it marinate for at least 30 mins, longer if possible
- Place it in the oven on 200DegC/ 392DegF for at least 20 mins
- After 20mins, you can turn the temperature down to 160DegC/ 360DegF check on it by piercing one and if it runs clear, it is ready!
I find it a joy to prepare simple and quick food that is easy and certainly satisfying. Hope you enjoy this one!