Tonight we celebrated a mate’s birthday by, you’ve guessed it, having a dinner.
Dinner parties are something of a social conundrum for me, especially if they are with people I don’t really know or have not met. It a combination of things:
- Starting conversations with people you don’t know
- Hoping there is common ground to have a discussion about
- Eating in front of strangers
- Having to actually observe table manners
- Hoping you don’t offend someone by being open and honest about something
- Hoping you don’t appear greedy when ordering anything
- Having to divide attention between food and people
- and more…
Admittedly, I was feeling quite uncomfortable leading up to the dinner…but the company was lovely, many conversation topics were explored and people laugh easily.
I guess what I’m trying to get at with the very short post is that it is important to always give anything (legal and not life threatening) a go- allow for valuable experiences to happen.